Covering Sunday September Edition



Welcome back to this month's crop of Sunday covers! With the new serializations throwing their best into the fray we'll have all sorts of interesting artstyles which is exciting, so lets get into it!





Getting a double push for it's first go around is "Daiiku no Hatou" or "The Ninth Wave" as written in English by Kusaba(?) himself(?) They're very reminiscent of One piece's covers, what with the characters superimposed on seafaring BG's, and a little bit of Gintama with there being a character for each cover. If I have to state my preference I don't but it is my blog so deal with it.  I do usually prefer covers that depict scenes of several characters opposed to a different one each time around. It just feels more exciting to me, y'know?


Volume three of Maiko-san is up looking just as warm and inviting in color (if not moreso) as it does in Black and white. I really like the use of yellows and oranges to instill a sense of calm and welcomeness to people who might see this on a bookshelf. Even if you're not reading this series yet, it gently invites you in with a cover like this, doesn't it?


Evans appears with his first volume and all the ladies he encounters within. Having Pheebs front and center really makes it clear what her role is in this series huh? That being said, this bait and switch cover is pretty great! One looking at this would think Evans is some sort of lady-killer when that couldn't be further from the truth. Meanwhile I realize now I've been spelling Kuriyama's name wrong, so maybe I'm the fool here...oh, I do like the romanization of the Japanese title, "Lies of the Sheriff Evans". It's always great when the author themselves gives confirmation on how they'd like the series title to be translated, and even better when it makes grammatical sense!


Returning to the "One-character-per-cover." scheme of things is Tensh--er, "The Soaring Quadrable". (Might as well use the name Arai gave me right?) I said that "The Ninth wave" (actually all of the authors so far have given English readings to their Japanese titles, huh.) is reminiscent of One piece, but I might have spoken too soon. That being said, Arai's sense of coloring is really amazing. Especially the eyes --there's a sense of determination and purpose that draws one into them....though from the way things are going, I wonder if Arai will have a chance to draw all four of the boys on a cover? 


Rinne 38 is up next and Takahashi's classic art-style doesn't disappoint. It's very simple but effective, and I think these designs are better than the anime, although the anime does do a very good job of representing the characters! Just personal preference speaking. There's something about how Takahashi does skin tone that I like a lot more, especially the small blush beneath the eyes that all the characters have here. 


Meteor Girl is probably my favorite out of this batch of covers --just because of how everything is placed here --from the upside down Chihiro falling like her series' title namesake, to the  city down below and the title falling on the side with her...it's just all composed extremely well. Not only that, but Ishiyama's name and the volume # being yellow was a nice choice. I do hope the series lasts a while since I've really come to enjoy it.


King of Idol is up next, and while Wakaki's art is as adorable as ever, I feel like I've seen this illustration before....I think it's the same one they've been using to promote the series pretty much the whole time it's been running, so it's a little disappointing to see it recycled here just with color. That being said, I do like the colors used for Mahoro's hair, and outfit, so that's a plus. 


And the last of this batch is Youkai Giga! Pretty simple, and it's clear now that Satou views Kuro as the "mascot" of sorts for the series. Interestingly enough it's under the "Shounen Sunday Special" label, which I can say with confidence is ---something I don't know much about. It appears these volumes are slightly more expensive than normal Sunday manga, and I guess might be printed a little bigger (and in lesser numbers) than most? Not sure why this and Makanai-san got the special treatment --especially since this would be a bigger barrier for their success, but it's worked for the latter, so here's hoping Youkai Giga will benefit as well. 

I realize I'm missing two series --Mushibugyo #31 and Aozakura #5, but I couldn't find bigger pictures of their covers, so I may just have to throw them in with the October batch, sadly. It really is a shame as I quite like both covers, but I'm glad you tuned in for this session! Until next month! 


Comments