Weekly Shounen Sunday #26 (2019) Editorial section.


This week's question comes from King Nutria in Fukuoka: "Is there anything that you've thought to yourself 'Man, it's about time I go and buy a replacement for that thing'..."?

Kimi ha 008 (Syun Mastena): That's assuming I have money to actually buy anything..
Neko Gurashi no Gamer-san (Wataru Nadatani): Once again I'm invading your spaces with a cat manga. Volume one is in stores so pick up a copy if you will!
Maojo de Oyasumi (Kagiji Kumanomata): I wonder...maybe a Computer? It's good to have more stuff.
Tonikaku Cawaii (Kenjiro Hata): I'd really like to get a computer.
Major 2nd (Takuya Mitsuda): A house.
Tantei Xeno to Nanatsu Satsujin Misshitsu: (Teppei Sugiyama): A TV and Sofa....Someone ().
(TN- Not my mistake, that's how it's written in the TOC itself.)
Yuko Sae Tatakaeba (Sei Fukui)   Switch Pro Controllers for Smash bros!!
MAO (Rumiko Takahashi): A single handed pot.  The other one has gotten burnt so I need to buy a replacement..
Detective Conan: Zero's Tea Time (Takahiro Arai): A Pen tab and PC for drawing.
Gofun go no Sekai (Hiroshi Fukuda): A life?
Amano Megumi ha Suki darake! (Nekoguchi): A chair. I've been using the saaaaame one for ten years.
switch (Atsushi Namikiri): Dressing.
Daiku no Hatou (Michiteru Kusaba): A Vacuum Cleaner.
Komi-san wa komyushou desu (Tomohito Oda): A smart phone!! I've been using an iPhone 6 and I want an XS!!
Fire Rabbit!! (Aya Hirakawa): A washing machine, I suppose~
Undine wa Kyou mo Koi wo Suru ka? (Shinya Misu): Since the other day when my vacuum cleaner broke, I've been wanting to buy a replacement..
Zettai Karen Children (Takashi Shiina): Speaking of that, the last time I bought some decent clothes was about five years ago...
Ponkotsu-chan kenshouchuu (Tsubasa Fukuchi): My Blu ray player doesn't work, so a Blu Ray Recorder.
Souboutei Kowasubeshi (Kazuhiro Fujita): The plate I used for mosquito repellent sticks ended up getting used by a small cute piglet, so I'd like to replace it.
Aozakura Bouei Daigakkou monogatari (Hikaru Nikaido): I use everything carefully so I don't have anything in particular I need to replace.
RYOKO (Kaito Mitsuhashi): I'd like to replace the tiles on my floor before anyone gets hurt...
Maiko-san chi no Makanai-san (Aiko Koyama): My speakers.
Be Blues! (Motoyuki Tanaka): My smartphone case is really grody now, (lol) 
Sokyuu no Ariadne (Nobuhiro Yagi): The Organic EL I use on my TV is lost somewhere...
Hoankan Evans no Uso ~Dead or Love~ (Mizuki Kuriyama): The old dryer that mysteriously still remains usable should probably be replaced soon.
Chrono Magia: Infinity Gear (Takeshi Azuma): I've been using this same chair for more than 20 years. It's about time to change it.
Anonatsu 1959 (Ashibi Fukui): I've been using this same chair for 12 years --I bought it with my winnings from the rookie awards. 
Youkai Giga (Satsuki Satou): A White panda.
Tokaichi Hitoribocchi Nouen (Yuuji Yokoyama): A Computer and my right hand.

Ya'll should really do something about those chairs man. Considering how much a manga artist sits in them and doesn't move, I'd think they'd be super high priority! Yet so many of them haven't replaced them in more than a decade....I say this but I also had the same chair that I used for various things (including writing Sunday!) for nearly half a decade before changing it. I wonder what state Takeda's house must be in that he wants to start over, hah. I'm...not even going to ask what Satou is talking about, since by now I've figured out most of what they say isn't meant to be taken seriously. Otherwise a lot of these are pretty normal, though I really don't know what Yagi is talking about, so if you do feel free to chime in. 



So with this chapter we can assume Xeno is at least making strides towards that final chapter. Yup, you guessed it --someone uttered "Seventh murder room" towards the end, and it sounds like unlike the other rooms that seem to happen as the story progressed, this one has a whole backstory behind it. Of course this information is dropped at the end of the chapter, so we'll have to wait until next week to get more information. To keep from treading the same ground every week I will only lightly touch on how much I have been enjoying Xeno's pacing even if it's likely the series is going to be cancelled. Heck, I can't really even tell since so far everything has felt just right in terms of story development --maybe Nanatsuki and Sugiyama intended for the series to end this way? Either way this week has Xeno actually comforting Ayla? Wonders never cease! It's no mystery (heh) that I've been reading this series from the start mainly for Ayla so I'm happy to see that she and Xeno have come a long way from their encounter in chapter one. Though another thing here is that the mystery of the sixth door has yet to be solved and now the seventh is being brought up --and it's a case that's 8 years old? Xeno's got his work cut out for him in this probable final leg of the series. I do hope that the Sugiyama/Nanatsuki team will be given the time they need to make something compelling, though so far Shougakukan has been accommodating so there shouldn't be too much to worry about.



Ponkotsu is back to it's normal formula this week, but the gimmick keeps it from being a shallow retread of what came before it. While sometimes I wish I had more to comment on the series than "It's really, really cute" I can't lie --it does cute well, and Fukuchi's brand of humor and storytelling keep it from being stale. This week Yumesaki's power is to create a younger set of clones of a person --one being a good clone the other being evil-ish. (Not flat out evil just evil-ish.) The clones are also incapable of lying, so they say exactly what's on the mind of the person the power is used on creating a somewhat predictable but still funny result with Lil' Mito's good and bad clones basically flat out admitting they have a crush on Yumesaki. I'm sure by next chapter the awkwardness might remain but the event itself won't be commented on --as that's been Fukuchi's MO since the beginning of the work. I know I do sound a bit harsh towards the work, but I am enjoying it. Though after the potential the last chapter had with introducing more characters, I hope Fukuchi will consider adding to the cast sooner rather than later. 



A rare chill chapter of Souboutei this week, though after the high octane that has been the past few months it's well deserved. Plus it's more like the eye of the storm than a proper cooldown as now the unlikely band of misfits-made-heroes have to take on the big bad himself, and while Rokurou is alive, he's in no state to fight --as is Seiichi. Fujita comes from that old school shounen sensibility where the main characters come in fashionably late after the other characters have struggled valiantly to keep the bad guy at bay, so I'd imagine the two boys will be out of the spotlight for a while to build that good ol' tension. In a magazine...heck, genre that has mostly gotten away from such tropes, I admit I kind of find this nostalgic. Though, I wouldn't call Fujita a slave to the past --I'd say Souboutei has done it's fair share of subverting tropes while sticking to it's legacy as an old school new age shounen manga quite well. I'm only speculating on what'll happen next --though I could be totally wrong. I do think it is likely that we're going to shift focus to Kurenai soon. After all the boys need to rest, the sisters have their eyes back, and the group outside of the house need to plan for how to counterattack. 


It's been mentioned before that there's "Something else" inside of Rokurou and that "something else" is what saved him from an untimely death. It's going to play into something big, mark my words --but for now everyone is resting and next week we get a center color page to mark what is perhaps the shift into the final(?) clash. Implications aside, I'm just stoked to see more colored Fujita artwork. 



Interestingly RYOKO's indicating the second chapter of a new arc which is something you typically don't see unless a series is doing well enough to get that extra praise. Sadly RYOKO's sales aren't great, but maybe in a case of hope springs eternal, I have to wonder if maybe as a print book it doesn't do so hot, but digitally it might be worth keeping around? If anything it's abysmal sales should mark it down for cancellation but here we are --another arc that doesn't seem to progress some of the plot points established before that much. I'm still sort of surprised that the Ubume side plot didn't pan out the way I thought despite things seeming kind of obvious (To me.) Of course Mitsuhashi could very well spin things that way again later, but for now at least RYOKO (the series) is going back to what the main character herself is good at --hunting. 


After Broccoli it seems talking foodstuffs are going to be the norm. Besides the implications that Ryoko's master gave her at the start of the series (I do wonder if he'll be back at all? Him and Zen's buddies who got left behind...There really isn't a reason for any of these characters to return I suppose, but it'd be odd to completely write them off.) where she'll start running into creatures that are as clever as they are strong, I wonder how the worldview would change if the foodstuffs can actually talk back? I feel like that'd be an interesting thing to explore, but I don't know if Mitsuhashi would want to go that deep when he's walking a fine line. Also, yes, Ryoko's swimsuit --it's not quite as daring as one might have thought considering the way she was behaving (in fact it's kind of cute). Though what I like most is that it (the reveal) doesn't slow down the momentum for the chapter at all --a good thing since...


Not only does this foodstuff talk, It evolves too. That and it can use weapons! Ryoko's swimwear just became the least of her problems....



Warning --this chapter of Evans is for the guys. Have all the ladies left yet? I'll wait. Okay good, this week playboy Max has felt the cruelest mistress of all --or well actually it's the opposite of that. He got dumped. One of the best lines in the chapter comes from Evans in the top page above (on the left) where he pats Max on the shoulder and thinks to himself. "Welcome back to this side". You don't know how much self restraint it took me to not translate that as "dark side", hahaha. To cheer him up, Ted and Evans take him out on patrol (because what else do lawmen do when life has them down?) Though no matter what they do --even getting involved in a hold up, everything reminds Max of his ex (who he also met during "work".) This time around though, the case isn't about money --a guy who feels his girl has been cheating on him is threatening violence and while I probably shouldn't laugh, the guy trying to justify his actions to Evans (and completely going over his head since y'know, he's never had a girlfriend) is got a great laugh out of me. The whole deal being settled by the guy and Max commiserating over their lost loves was the topping on the chapter. I did warn the ladies to leave --not because of the subject matter but because pathetic guys who can't get over the past is unsightly and I wanted to spare you. (Though if you wanted a few laughs this chapter delivered.) 




This week's Youkai Giga features the Tsuchigumo --a type of spider which after living for a long time can turn into a youkai. They often rely on illusions and tricks to fool humans and live on silk webs in forests and mountains. I gotta say, Satou has a knack for making cute looking youkai look absolutely terrifying. Also, for creating versions of these creatures that only vaguely look like their inspirations until it's too late. That thing there looks more like a bear than a spider until it transforms, doesn't it? The story for this week is about a young girl who thinks of herself as a coward until she saves a strange creature (who openly admits it was just in a deathmatch --a sign to run away very quickly) who asks her if she has any problems. She admits that her friends belittle a poor girl in the village and while she feels bad about it, she doesn't have the courage to stick up for the child --so the Tsuchigumo suggests killing everyone. The girl has no choice but to go in and sock the kids making fun of the poor girl before the Tsuchigumo gets there --and it...actually stops attacking. Could this have been it's plan the whole time? No way...

And that's it for issue #26 of Sunday. I hope you're following the twitter for the news and other fun Sunday tidbits as this section is only for my musings. There will be more news/musings next week and I hope you'll be watching this space and that one for them! Until then!

Comments