Sunday anime Surplus (Takahashi/Kumanomata/Hata interview pt.2)

 

Hi all! Been waiting long? Here's part two of the Sunday anime mangaka interview! This time we got a little more insight into how Yashahime became a thing as well as Hata's overanaylsis into manga creation. He and Kumanomata nerding before their goddess is pretty relatable, haha. There's more stuff for me to translate, and I'm hoping to establish a decent tempo over the next few weeks so stay tuned. Same disclaimers apply: Not a professional TL, might be mistakes, feel free to comment, y'know. Now that that's out of the way, enjoy!

A congratulatory special discussion between Sunday authors with TV Anime!!! (Rumiko Takahshi/Kenjiro Hata/Kagiji Kumanomata)

(Mid August in Tokyo the three manga artists' conversation begins with a bang)

Kenjiro Hata (To be known as H): There's just so much I want to ask about today!!

Rumiko Takahashi (To be known as R): By all means (laugh)

H: To cut to the chase...can you tell us the particulars behind “Yashahime”? I was really surprised when it was announced.

Kagiji Kumanomata (To be known as K): I'd like to hear about this too. As an otaku myself I'm really curious.

R: I see. (laughs) Well it was about 3 or 4 years ago when Mr. Katsuyuki Sumisawa and I had our first conversation about it. He's the lead writer for the Inuyasha anime, and a writer I have confidence in, plus it sounded like something the viewers would like.

H: I dunno if it's okay for me to ask this but let me be straight. Who'd Sesshomaru end up with? I keep trying to figure it out on my own and I can't...

(Bubble: Who shacked up with Sesshoumaruuuu?!)

R: Let me say this –that's not something I really ever thought about myself. You'll just have to watch (Yashahime) to find out. (laughs) Though I guess it might be tiring to think about it that much.

“The first Rumic”

H: There were about 30 volumes of “Urusei Yatsura” out when I was in Elementary school, and every week when I was on my way home I'd buy one volume. I enjoyed them a lot. For some reason however I started midway through at about volume sixteen and eventually went back and bought the ones before that. So the first Sunday manga I wholeheartedly bought was Urusei, when it was in it's final stages. What about you Kumanomata? What was your first Rumic manga?

K: I'm one who prefers to buy volumes opposed to reading the magazine. My first one was “Ranma” though the serialization had already ended, so I was able to read the whole series in one go.

(Bubble: K: I was more interested in the romance in Ranma than the fighting...)

(Bubble H: Akane's long hair made my heart race.)

H: Whoa!! Really?! I experienced Ranma ½ in real time as it was serialized! I even read the manga in the magazine each week. It felt like there was no time at all between when Urusei ended and Ranma began. Now that I'm a manga artist myself, It definetly feels like the speed between starting serializations is amazingly fast.

R: I was drawing Urusei around the same time as “Maison Ikkoku” and they both ended around the same time. So it probably isn't surprising that I took a while to recuperate after them before starting Ranma.

H: Um, I've always been curious about this, but in Ranma there was a chapter where Akane's hair got cut, right? It was so shocking that it was almost traumatic to me. Had you decided on doing that from the start of the story?

R: Not at all. When the serialization began I kinda wondered to myself what kind of girl Akane would be since I wasn't sure myself. So then after it ran a bit I thought I should cut her hair and change her design! Something like that.

H: Ohh I see. It still had quite an effect on me. (laughs) It was quite the hook for the start of the series. After Akane got her hair cut, Shampoo showed up. She's super cute, and had a huge effect on the story, y'know?

K: I do, I do.

Editorial: Kumanomata, what does “cute” feel or look like to you?

K: Cute to me is...Plush bears and stuff like that. That's just my personal opinion. I'd like to see more of Hata's Toast myself.

R: Ah I know what you mean. A cat finally appeared in the series but it had far less screen time than I was thinking.

H: Ah that's...because I love cats so much I get too into drawing them when I do...I can't accept drawing them halfway (laughs). Though they are cute...cats that is. But if we're talking cute it's not just the bears, but the stars within Princess Suyalis's skirt. Those are amazing. I wouldn't have been able to come up with that myself.

R: Moreso than the princess, I think the monsters are cute. Their reactions to the princess's completely off the wall antics are adorable~ (laughs).

H: The reactions of the characters really are the most important part.

K: They're terrified when she praises them too.

“Oneshots and the night before debuts.”

H: Ms. Takahashi, you drew a lot of oneshots right?

R: For Big (comic), and the *** anniversary I got the offer to draw one.

K: That's amazing...that you have spare time during serializations. For me I'd be far too busy to draw anything else. Was it difficult? Like showing adolescence during the story or managing the page count? Stuff like that.

R: I like creating stories. Though it feels like I have a lot of “Middle aged old guys” as the protagonists...I'd like to cut down on that...I get done drawing those and want to draw young men and woman in Sunday instead. (laughs)

H: For me, I like Ms. Takahashi's “Invitation to Takarazuka” oneshot. I read it before I began drawing professionally and have re-read it many times since. When I had decided to become a manga artist, I thought to make myself a manga textbook of sorts, and read many oneshots. Though the one I found most fun was “Takarazuka”. It was a story full of heart and laughs all packed in a single oneshot.

R: Thank you.

H: I do analyze things like panel count, and size as well as the amount of lines and how it looks to the eye. I also consider the size of the manga manuscript paper as well as the magnification of the paper copy and thickness of the lines. I guess you can say I really dig deep into all of those aspects.

R: A—Amazing..! At the time the editorial staff had said to me “We're taking you to the Takarazuka for story ideas” and when I went I came back really wanting to draw it! (laughs)

H: The spread on pages 24-25 had a strong impact. I really like those pages that took place upon the stage, it was amazing to turn through them. Ah, I've started nerding out and talking too much. (sweat)

K: When I had decided to make my debut, my relatives gave me a copy of “Maison Ikkoku” and said “Draw a manga like this.” And asked me “What kind of themes do you want to express in your manga” Among other things. I was like “Whoa, while it'd be great if I could raw something like Maison, the themes I want to express in manga aren't like that!” I went back and forth with them for about an hour...

R: You're absolutely right! (Roar of laughter) I wouldn't want you to do that either....I'd prefer if one were to just sit back and read at their leisure. Even better if you don't think about anything while reading! That's what I want most!

H: Huuuh? Really?!

Comments

Post a Comment