Sunday Shitsumon (Takahashi's Q & A)

 


Heyo! Yes for some reason it is I, Sakaki back again! October seems to be my month as more comes out on the blog now than any other time of the year, lol. Anyway here are questions submitted to Takahashi by fans from around the time the Yashahime anime was announced. As always my disclaimer goes. Also I had to sort of guess on one pen-name but otherwise it should be fine. Feel free to point out any errors and I'll get on them as soon as possible! Enjoy!

Rumiko Takahashi Question corner: RUMICUESTION

We asked for online reader questions regarding “Inuyasha” and “Yashahime” and out of the great response we received, here are 20 questions answered by Rumiko Takahashi herself!!

Q: The characters in “Inuyasha” from the leads to minor characters all have very unique names!! How do you decide on what to name them? (PN. Mari)

A: I have the most trouble with this because once I give a character a name I don't change it. From the time I conceptualize the character I'm thinking of their name up until the moment they actually appear. I don't exactly think “This name would fit this character” but, something along the lines of a name that's easy to say, easy to draw, easy to remember and of course fits the story. For example “Kikyo” in flower language means “An unchanging love.” and Kagome's name has a cute fairy tale charm to it. I feel like I gave Sesshoumaru a different name at first but I forgot what it is. Though on the contrary I can remember there are names I've decided on simply from coming up with a design.

Q: Is Buyo a male or female? (PN: Buyo's stomach.)

A: When the serialization started I thought of him as male, but as time went on I thought to myself “Doesn't this cat seem more like a granny?” So Buyo may in fact be a female. Buyo is Buyo, and it's fine if everyone has a different distinction of it's gender.

Q: Many different Yokai appear in “Inuyasha.” Which would you say is the hardest and easiest one to draw? (PN Asuka)

A: The hardest to draw was Magatsuhi. Due to it having an inconstant appearance.I don't remember having any difficulties with other Yokai in the series.

Q: I thought that Inuyasha was a protagonist who'd know better than to damage his awesome sword Tessaiga, but I've come to realize that he's actually pretty reckless with it. (Though he seems to have faith in the Tessaiga) If the Tessaiga could talk, what kind of things would it want to tell Inuyasha? I've loved Inuyasha since I was an elementary school student, and read the manga as well as watched the anime, but on retrospect I realized just how badly he treated that sword despite how commendable it was...I've been curious about this and would love an answer. (PN Arino)

A: Tessaiga is a sword made from his father's tooth, so while it'd be his “friend” it's also of a higher rank than himself. So if it could talk, it'd probably something like “Hurry up and get up to my level” or something like that.

Q: If Kikyo were to come back to life would she and Kagome become friends? (PN Megu)

A: As long as Inuyasha is in the picture I think a friendship between the two of them would be strained. Even supposing they did acknowledge each other, there'd be a sense of fear and a delicate sense of tension between the two of them. That and Inuyasha probably wouldn't have the mental resolve to handle things either.

Q: I'd like to know how Jaken and Shesshomaru met. When they did was Jaken already an old guy? (PN Momo)

A: I remember there being an Anime Original episode in “Inuyasha” that depicted how they met. I don't remember what episode that was, but it was something like Jaken was the leader of a group of Yokai who fought Sesshomaru and lost which subsequently lead to him becoming his follower. I do believe he was an old guy by then though.

Q: I like the cute animals that appear in the Rumic world like Kirara and Shippo. Ms. Takahashi, I'd like you to tell us how you design these little critters. (PN Zunda Kou)

A: To start they have to be cute and eye catching. These characters are small but are often the means for the leads to get around, so they have to be able to share screen time with them which I keep in mind.

Q: Thank you for supporting the Anime planning. To be able to ask you, Ms. Takahashi a question...ah, this is a wonderful age we live in. (lol) Inuyasha is a series I loved since I was a child, and has been my Life Bible. I've especially admired Kagome and lived my life in a way that I could be as strong and kind as her. Now, as for my question; There was a scene where Sesshomaru said “The taste of Human food doesn't agree with me” but there are many Yokai who don't attack humans so what do they eat to stay alive? Inuyasha and Shippo eat with Kagome, so can Yokai and Humans eat the same food? Was Sessshomaru just saying that to act aloof? Last but not least I'm looking forward to Yashahime, and enjoying MAO in Shounen Sunday. Thanks so much for your wonderful works! (PN Aki)

A: Thanks so much for your support. As for what Sesshomaru eats, well I really cant imagine it. I guess he'd probably consume the “energy” or “spirit” from Yokai he's defeated, likely. Beyond that most likely fruits and the like.

Q: Do you have a favorite story in Inuyasha? Could you tell us what you consider your best written one? (PN Reika)

A: It's difficult for me to pick my favorite story. When Inuyasha becomes black haired during the drawn are refreshing and a lot of fun, as are the stories where Inuyasha comes to the modern era and doesn't fight. Those ones are full of hilarity and I like drawing those too. The arc about the Shichinintai was really exciting and also fun to do, but on the contrary Kagura's death, Kikyo's final moments and so on required me to focus and give them proper sendoffs. Kagome, Inuyasha, Miroku and Sango's friendship blossoming throughout the series was also something I enjoyed. Though if I had to choose a favorite moment it'd likely be the final chapter. I felt satisfied with the conclusion after the long journey to get there.

Q: I love the Shichinintai in Inuyasha! The strongest of the seven is surely Bankotsu as he's the big bro of the group and scouted the others, right? Bankotsu and Jakotsu seemed to get along really well so I wonder if they were the first members of the group? It's been on my mind for a while. I look forward to seeing the wonderful and charming characters in Yashahime too. (PN Meichi)

A: It's likely that each of the other members of the Shichinintai lived on their own and thought themselves the strongest. In order for such a group to get together and thrive they'd need a strong leader at their core, which is where Bankotsu comes in. As for them working together it'd come down to what kind of merit they'd get out of it. Bankotsu and Jakotsu do give off the feeling of being the first members, don't they?

Q: I like the Priest Miroku and Sango in Inuyasha the most. I've been rooting for them back then and even now. As for my question, when the proposal came up it was said they'd have “10 kids or maybe even 20” but ultimately how many did they actually have? I'd like to know in a what if situation how many kids they had together. (PN Naozawa)

A: In Yashahime and the final chapter of “Inuyasha” They had twin girls and a boy had just been born so three in total from what I recall. I hadn't really thought of any more children than that but they're still a young couple so I'd like you to think that their possibilities are infinite. They're very much happy and in love, and thank you for supporting them.

Q: Here's my question. Sesshomaru are able to use “scents” to distinguish things, and it's been mostly consistent in how it's depicted, but there are times “smell” is used rather than “scent” Like Kagome having a good “scent” and Inuyasha's human side having a “smell” It's got me curious as to what the difference is? (PN Take-chan)

A: Inuyasha and Sesshomaru use “scents” to identify and sort out friends and foes. Of course “scent” is used for friends and “smell” is used for foes. I wanted to have a way to distinguish this and leave an impression on readers so for the most part I used “scent” for female characters. It has a cute and pure feeling to it.

(TN- The question was weirdly printed so I pieced it together the best I could. In Japanese the word “scent” and “smell” are both “nioi” which have different kanji or Chinese characters. Takahashi's inferring that one reads softer than the other which I've distinguished with “scent” vs “smell” Though the word for both is the same in the original.)

Q: I'd like to know if there were any stories or arcs in Inuyasha that changed dramatically from when you thought of them to when they were introduced into the story. (PN Nagisa)

A: At first all I had planned was that Inuyasha is a half demon, Kikyo sealing him away and that he had his father's sword as an heirloom. After that I thought of the story week to week as I went along. That being said I did have an idea of when Naraku, Shippo, Miroku, and Sango would appear at first. For Sesshomaru I did have it in mind he'd protect a human and possibly die, but I thought it'd be a shame to kill him off and kept him around. Naraku was born from a sense of giving the story a defined direction. I'm the type to adlib things so planning a lot in advance takes away the surprise of what I'll draw next. I enjoy thinking to myself “what'll happen next? What do I do now?” weekly.

Q: On the final chapter Sesshomaru gave Rin a kimono as a present, but how did he get it? Did he have Jaken make the preparations and have it delivered? Or did Sesshomaru go buy it himself? I'm really curious. (PN- Punch Magnum Tomoo)

A: I considered this question and thought about it since I hadn't before. Likely it was indeed Jaken who went to buy the kimono but had to go back several times until he got one befitting the image he was satisfied with. Moreover it was probably from the start that a clear image hadn't been conveyed properly either.

Q: Inuyasha is my life's bible! Ms. Takahashi, what were your thoughts when talks of Yashahime began? (PN- Misawa Noricchan)

A: To me Inuyasha was undisputably finished so when they presented the idea it felt like “Can we?” at first. Though the scenario for Yashahime was written by Katsuyuki Sumisawa who unmistakably has the insights and smarts to do such a thing so I felt comfortable leaving it in his hands.

Q: In “Yashahime” Moroha has a red ribbon, but is it just me or does that ribbon seem to unconsciously look like Inuyasha's ears? Moreover since Inuyasha is a half demon with dog ears, shouldn't Setsuna and Towa who are also half demons have them too? I get why Moroha doesn't as she's only a quarter demon, but what exactly is the standard for dog ears in the series? I gotta know! (PN- Tsukimi Rikyun(?))

A: As you figured Moroha's ribbon is indeed supposed to project Inuyasha's image. Towa and Setsuna should have Dog ears, but Sesshomaru has a human shape while Inuysaha who is half demon has part of those attributes. Plus in Inuyasha many different half breeds with differing appearances are part of the story, so each one has their own characteristics. I hope that makes sense.

Q: So Inuyasha and Kagome's daughter Moroha appears in Yashahime, but Inuyasha is a half demon and Kagome is human, making Moroha a half demon/human hybrid. So do the three of them age at the same rate living in the warring states era or differently? (PN Saako)

A: The span of time in the story passes at about the same time. Thus it's not like a whole lot would change after several decades going by would it?

Q: I see that Granny Kaede has appeared in Yashahime, and I gotta admit that surprised me....especially that she hadn't changed in the least! Could it be that Granny Kaede is a yokai too? (PN Jimori)

A: She's human. Though as the one who gives the youngsters advice and tells them stories of times long ago, she might feel that's her role and despite her age hangs on because of it.

Q: When I was 5 years old the Inuyasha anime was on air and I loved it. When I visited a certain temple and saw a sacred tree there I thought to myself “What if Inuyasha was sealed away here?” and imagined that often as a child. It's been 12 years since the manga ended and 10 since the anime did, and now this fall “Yashahime” will begin, and I'm so excited! For Yashahime, when you designed Towa, Setsuna and Moroha what was the most important thing you kept in mind? (PN Minto)

A: I received some notes from Mr. Sumisawa like “Towa is a white Sesshomaru” and “Setsuna is a Black Sesshomaru.” They're twins but they lived in entirely separate words so their personalities are different which are reflected in their designs. Moreover while Towa is dressed like a boy, I feel she still has a feminine look to her. Moroha has strong influences from both Inuyasha and Kagome, while being a very bright and peppy personality. Due to that she's the one I was able to design in one go without difficulties.

Q: Are there any points you want fans to pay attention to in Yashahime? (PN Mafuimaro)

A: Sunrise's beautiful artwork and the interesting story in particular. The parents generation will appear periodically, and the girls; Towa, Setsuna and Moroha are all charming in their own right. I think it'll be a fun series for those who are experiencing Inuyasha for the first time and those who have seen it before. Last but not least the musician behind Inuyasha's soundtrack; Kaoru Wada is also contributing music for this series. I'm looking forward to how this series comes out myself.



Comments