Sunday Cinema: Detective Conan Iron Submarine Interview (Minami Takayama and Megumi Hayashibara)

 Hey all! Hope you're having a great Golden Week. What that means is no WSS thread on twitter, but that doesn't mean we take a break! (As much as we probably should) Rather we decided to get this hot ticket item out there. Ironically enough, we've translated interviews about Conan with the man behind the detective, but not the voice actress who breathes life into his pint-sized half. We'll fix this with an interview recently uploaded to the site. As always the usual caveats stand: Not professional TLs, might be some mistakes, please credit us if you upload. With that out of the way: Enjoy!

Detective Conan: Iron Submarine Official Interview Part 1

Minami Takayama x Megumi Hayashibara




In the after credits scene of last year's movie “The Bride of Halloween” Haibara was depicted as beingthe main character of the movie wasn't she? As this became a hot topic I'm sure you've heard a lot of feedback, but how do you feel personally?

Hayashibara (To be Known as H): It almost doesn't feel real, as if it hasn't sunk in yet. (Lol) The Detective Conan movies such as “The Bride of Halloween” and “Sunflowers of Inferno” tend to have many flashy scenes, but of course at the root of the stories are the character interactions and relationships. This time around since it's a story about Ai-chan, it's not just the action scenes but the story itself that's fine tuned since of course it involves the Black Organization. It feels like I personally am emoting much more energy than usual rather than keeping it to myself. To put it frankly I feel like “Ahh I want to run away.”

---And what about you Ms. Takayama?

Takayama (To be known as T): “Finally.” Is what I thought. I also started wondering who the accomplice would be this time around. When it comes to the Black organization, despite his best efforts Conan can't handle them by himself. He can hide and protect Haibara, but that's the limit of what he can do. The Organization is huge and most of all filled with adults. So first I started imagining what kind of formation would be put together to counter them. I love working with the voice actors behind the BO, but I always get shivers when I hear Gin's voice. I thought to myself “Oh crap, what will I do?” for an entire year, (lol)

H That year was the worst (lol)

T: Right?? Despite solving a major case all I felt was exhausted.

H: I know right? Every year these cases get more and more complex...


--A lot happens in this movie too. I'd like to ask you about how you felt reading the script this time around, but Ms. Hayashibara couldn't stop crying...

H: Yeah, I was a sobbing mess. I should be reading the script as Ai Haibara, but in the end it was Megumi Hayashibara who became emotional. She (Haibara) really doesn't know the depths of how much Conan, the Professor and the Detective Boys care about her and want her to return safely.

T: Right? Totally.

H: The script had me feeling so out of sorts that I ended up bugging everyone on LINE about it until the wee hours of the morning. I'm so sorry for getting on your nerves (lmao) I asked Minami-chan to comfort me but for some reason when she sent a LINE stamp of Conan it felt like it came from a place of irritation rather than support, lol

Takayama: Hahahaahah.

H: And so in response to that imagined frustration, I sent A LINE stamp of Ai-chan sulking, lol. Though thanks to that I was able to calm down a bit and asked myself “Why was I crying in the first place?” Then I remembered that Haibara is the type of girl who thinks “It'd be better if I died” or “I could just die at any time” until she realizes jut how many people truly from the bottom of their heart love her and I started crying all over again. So on the day we were set to record I let myself cry until I calmed down and regained my composure. From there I tried to see things from her perspective and overlap my feelings with hers.

---Ms. Takayama how did you feel after receiving Ms. Hayashibara's LINE messages?

T: I saw it when I woke up and was like “What's wrong?” (lol)

H: It was a mess wasn't it? (lol)

T: Yes, but what I wanted to convey is “No need to worry I'll protect you” when I sent that stamp, but then in return I got Haibara sulking.

H: Amazing. I thought I was being comforted after being annoying but in the end I just made you upset (lol)

T: Hah, it was fun though. Sometimes that's just how it is though. It should be “Megumi Hayashibara Vs Minami Takayama” but somewhere somehow it becomes Ai Haibara vs Conan Edogawa.

H: Yup, that's how it goes.

T: So we ended up talking about all sorts of things.

H: Like how the the characters are the ones who guide and create stories for us.


---It's quite the splendid relationship you have. Ms. Takayama, you've said you've lived as Conan for such a long time, so that's why you can have that kind of exchange, right?

T: That's right. I've known Megu-chan for a long time, so during recordings I can tell what she's thinking or what she wants to do, but Conan really doesn't know much about Ai-chan. So there's a sort of frustration there...

H: Genius, you mean.

T: An annoying kind of genius. (lol)

H: Though it's intriguing to watch Minami Takayama work her way through Conan Edogawa's frustrations. You have a fascinating but difficult relationship.

--There's a unalterable history there that can't be discarded.

T: Yup, that's right.

H: A history that we wouldn't have if the series had ended in a cour.

--Conan didn't feel like himself this time. Usually he's a cool, but curious boy.

T: Yeah it's totally different. For the first time in a long while it felt like Conan was hotblooded and making mistakes because he couldn't cool down and clearly see what's happening before him.

--That's true. You can tell by how he interacted with Detective Sato.

T: Yes, be it Sato, Dr. Agasa or Ran. It's not usual for Agasa to rebuke Conan.

H: Usually it's Conan telling the Professor off.

T: That's right (laughs). Though I don't blame him. The danger was off the charts this time around as it's not the same as when Ran is in danger. When Haibara is in trouble then it means her identity might be discovered and that puts not only her but everyone around her in danger. That's exactly why the Organization is so terrifying. Of course it'd be best if he could just rescue Haibara, but in this case he doesn't know what to do after that which makes Conan panic. On top of that he doesn't have anyone in his corner. Akai can't get there right away, and Amuro is undercover and can't do much.

--Before when Conan is in trouble, Haibara would help him remotely by using the Detective Boys badge.

T: That's right. He can usually depend on Haibara to follow through.

--This time however he doesn't use the badge at all...

T: Though Kir came in clutch.

H: Kir is clever and resourceful.

T: If she hadn't been there then Conan might not have been able to see this one through.


--You'd think after fighting a long and lonely battle that Conan and Ai's relationship would change, but what are your impressions?

T: Their fates are intertwined. There's no one who can get between them. Be it Ran or the Professor, I think theirs is a relationship no one else can begin to meddle in.

H: In a way it's kind of sad.

T: Yes, It's something no one else would understand.

H: Then should I make another dose of APTX and shrink someone else so we have a trio?

T: Whoa there. If you have time for that then why not make an antidote (lol) Though that gets me wondering, say Haibara does develop the antidote....would she even want to take it? If you ask me I think she's happier the way she is now, though it hasn't even been a year in story. We're not even sure if these kids can age...

H: Then to start with, I guess she should figure out if becoming a second year student is possible?

T: Are you saying to put it off until then? (lol) I'm not sure what'll happen from then on, but if she can indeed live life happily as Ai Haibara, then I don't think it's worth it for her to go out of her way to return the dangerous life of Shiho Miyano.

H: What'd be best is if the BO itself was dismantled. If Conan can return to being Shinichi Kudo he'd still be in danger, wouldn't he?

T: That's right. It's because he thinks about such things that I'd wonder if simply returning to himself would be worth it.

H: Just having the antidote isn't enough. Before they can truly return theres a lot of things that need to be resolved. Actually a thing I was wondering this time around is just how expansive is the BO?

T: They even have a submarine!

H: Though that being said that there are so many people working undercover in the organization such as the FBI, gets me wondering if they're somehow in the shadows controlling wars or fights in various places. Perhaps they have the capital to just get a submarine from another country. There are so many mysteries surrounding them.

T: I'm worried about the people manning the subs. Do they know who they're working for and what they're doing?

--I wonder ever everyone managed to get away.

T: There has to be an entire crew to man a submarine so I worry about them, but I'd think Vodka let them go. He seems like that sort of guy, maybe. (lol)

--This movie is a tag effort between the team that brought us “Zero's Enforcer” Yuzuru Tachikawa and Takeharu Sakurai. What do you think is most appealing of their work?

T: Tachikawa's artwork is smooth and stylish. Meanwhile Sakurai likes to flex his scientific muscle. I think the chemistry between the two of them is fascinating. Dropping scientific knowledge in a scenario like this one might go over people's heads but it's because the art is so stlylish that it only adds to the appeal of the world's outlook. Also I like that Conan's now at a position where he's treated as an equal among the adults rather than an elementary school student.

H: That's right, he's on the same level as Akai and Amuro.

--Conan came off like an adult this time around.

T: Right? He was so manly. I think that's what makes him charming. I discussed this with Mr. Tachikawa and he said “I want Conan to stand out as a hero.” While I was voice acting I didn't quite see him that way, but when I put a little distance between me and the work I started to get it.

H: I guess that's why he came off as somewhat more solitary this time around? Heroes tend to be enveloped in solitude. There were many heroes this time around and even then they weren't able to completely beat the bad guys.

T: That's right And there were a ton of enemies around—lots of scary adults.

H: I thought It was great when Minami-chan said that “Hachijoujima is a closed room” I feel like because it was you who said it that it has more weight.

T: Ahh, Yes it takes hours to get to Hachijojima by boat or jet, and while it's in Tokyo it's not a place the Metropolitan Police can come to quickly. In that way it's a closed room at sea.

H: Those are the words of someone who's experienced it before. At that point there's no other choice but to hop right in.

--I'd imagine it must have been very difficult for Ms. Hayashibara to have acted out Haibara's fear and faith in the others when she was kidnapped.

H: This is my take on it but I feel like if Ai-chan had been alone when she was kidnapped then she might have just given up on living. It's because her friend who created the age authentication system was there, the truth that people she cares about are involved because of her, as well as that sense of guilt, frustration and regret are the reasons she resolved to escape alive. It's because Naomi was there that she was able to think this way.


--Haibara's line“A Child's words and actions can change one's life” was impressive.

H: It's true though! Tsuburaya (Mitsuhiko) fell for Ai-chan, Yoshida (Ayumi) calls her by her name and Kojima (Genta) treats her like rice, lol. At first these kids were just cover for her identity and thus she didn't make any effort to try and remember their names since she was simply “pretending to be a first grader”. Now however, she's grown to think that she wants to sacrifice herself for them, to not wanting to die at all, to finally wanting to protect them. I think it's because she's surrounded by people who show their affection to her –be it Conan, her classmates, the professor, Ran or even that slightly troublesome old man.

--Conan and Haibara's biggest collaborator and sponsor has to be the Professor. Agasa had a cool scene when Haibara was kidnapped.

T: That's right! He was so cool!

H: Unfortunately Ai-chan doesn't know about it..

T: I'm reminded once again how important Haibara is to the Professor. It isn't simply that he shelters her, but that they live together. He's really come to cherish her. When he said “Even if you hit me I'll stop you!” It was crazy. He's really beginning to lose control there and if something were to happen to him it'd be awful if he's not stopped before that. I didn't get to record at the same time as the prof this time around, but after seeing that scene I thik that was for the best.

H: You might have heated up too much and gone over your limits.

T: True it might have been impossible to stop.

--It feels like this time around there was a much larger emotional component. Were there any parts that were significantly different from recording for any movies up until now? Anything more difficult?

T: The hardest part was breathing.

H: Agreed.

T: There were many scenes out at sea like one for example where only their heads were above water so the sense of pressure beating down on the chest was incredible.

H: Dramatics underwater are tough, but Conan had to talk underwater too. The sea has a different sense of G's so it was definitely much more difficult.

T: That's right It's totally different from anything we've done before.


--Takayama's line “I'll bring Haibara back no matter what” sent chills down my spine.

H: It was so cool.

T: Thank you. I made sure to breathe differently than usual for that line.

H: From the inside, right?

T: That's right it's an expressiveness that I can't let show. It's all about keeping my breathing under control.

--The Black Organization has put Conan and Haibara through so much. Tell us what your impressions of the organization from the perspectives of your characters.

T: Conan's perspective is simply that he wants to bring them down. He's doing what he can as an elementary school student and gathering as much information and allies he can to destroy the organization. There isn't a whole lot known about them right now, but since his father is at the Kudo mansion with Akai, I think that Yusaku is investigating something, and his mother Yukiko is friends with Vermouth. I feel like little by little the organization is beginning to break apart.

H: For me the fact that the organization is in hot pursuit is important however now what's becoming clear that what she's really up against isn't just the organization, or rather not them at all but a system created for the sake of the world. Though Haibara is beginning to understand that there's a lot of fractures in the organization and hints of infighting or lack of cooperation. She was in the organization at one point but now that she's out she's seeing human relationships such as what it really means to be on good terms with people and hierarchical relationships. The organization seems like a big black wall but now it feels like there's the smallest of mouseholes in it.

T: Speaking as myself now but I want to hear the people of the organization converse more. Through those conversations I think we can learn more about how they operate. Wouldn't that be interesting? Also I feel like Korn's been much more talkative lately. He used to be monosyllabic but now he's saying full sentences. Then before I realized all of these involved people are gathering in Beika. I'm begging them to stop, please. (lol)

H: Please no more crime in our lovely city! It's already got enough crime all year long as is! (lol)

T: I'm also curious about the relationship between Bourbon and Rum. They keep in touch but Rum's voice is a processed one. Rum is in disguise but if Rum knows Bourbon's face then is there a particular reason why he hangs out so close to Amuro? Now he's even solving cases together with him. Are they planning something regarding the Mouri Detective Agency? A lot is on my mind...

H: The illusions and delusions just won't end.

--- I thought because the organization appeared that we'd get more answers but the mysteries are far more profound than that.

T: Right? It's got me concerned because there are still so many things that have yet to be revealed.


---So to conclude tell us the highlights of this work and your parting message.

H: Of course as a Conan movie it has the tropes you'd expect such as Conan solving the case and Ai-chan's kidnapping, but it still has merit as a Detective drama. There's some foreshadowing her and there so if you've already seen it I think it's worth a rewatch just for some of the neat tricks you may not have seen the first time. Come back to Hachijojima again as much as you'd like.

T: Thank you for continuing to enjoy and support Detective Conan. This movie is one you can enjoy through many rewatches, as you're spectator who doesn't see from the same POV as Conan and Haibara. I think watching it fro different points of view has merit if for no other reason then the foreshadowing sprinkled throughout the film, and of course for that scene that's a homage to that moment. After seeing that, rewatch the scene in the TV anime and the enjoyment becomes deeper than sea. The sense of anticipation is also second to none, but don't forget to take a breath! Come to Hachijojima as many times as you'd like!  


Comments