Ryu Kawamura and Junko Iwao Otakon interview


This year at Otakon, WSSTB's Jecka1021 had the pleasure of conducting an interview with Japanese Jazz composer Ryu Kawamura, and voice actress Junko Iwao. Kawamura has performed with Joe LaBarbera (The last drummer of the Bill Evans Trio), participating in the Blue Note All Stars Jazz Orchestra, and supported artists such as Zutomayo, Shoko Nakagawa, and of course Junko Iwao. Iwao is known for her roles in Cardcaptor Sakura (Tomoyo Daidouji) Ayashi no Ceres (Ceres) Puella Magi Madoka Magica (Kazuko Saotome) Chibi Maruko-chan (Kenta Hasegawa) among many other roles. 

The two worked together on a promotional video for Summer Ghost with a song entitled "Ichiban Chikakute Tooi Hoshi" (The closest farthest star.) 

              
                                           Left, Ryu Kawamura, Right, Junko Iwao, Center, Jecka. 

The transcript for the interview can be found below. It should be noted the interview has been edited for additional clarity.

Jecka: This first question is for both of you; how were you approached for the Summer Ghost theme,
and how did the collaboration process go?

Kawamura: It began with a company named Z-Kai, which is an after school study company. The president of said company is a fan of (Junko Iwao) hers, and it all kicked off with them wanting to make a promotional video for the song Koko ni iru yo (Eng translation: I am here) which eventually became the foundation for Summer Ghost. The discussion from there went from using an existing song to something specifically for the promotional video that matches the themes of the pv and Summer Ghost.

                                                    Summer Ghost is available from Gkids on Bluray here 

Jecka: And how do you approach collaboration projects with other artists?

Kawamura: My personal policy is so that my own influences and ego aren't prominent, I try to place the artist I'm collaborating with first. 

Jecka: And Iwao-san, I'd like to ask you the same question.

Iwao: I respect the person I'm collaborating with by understanding what kind of song and genre they're going for when I perform. That's the thought process I had when I was collaborating with Kawamura-san. 

Jecka: Kawamura-san, what's the difference between working on an anime soundtrack as opposed to a drama, movie or an original album?

Kawamura: Personally, I feel like there are more expectations to meet when composing for an anime as opposed to other media, or to put it another way there's more expected from me when I have to work on an anime soundtrack vs anything else.

Pictured above, Onihei, an anime Ryu Kawamura composed the OST for. It is streaming on Crunchyroll

Jecka: Iwao-san, what was it like to return to the role of Tomoyo after so many years?

Iwao: So what I wanted to convey with Tomoyo in the Clear Card arc of Cardcaptor Sakura is how much she's matured as she's gone from elementary school to middle school via using a different tone in my acting. 

Jecka: How would you say you relate to her (Tomoyo?)

Iwao: Similar to Tomoyo, I enjoyed singing as an elementary school student and did so in a choir. I also identify with her putting her friends and others first.

Cardcaptor Sakura and Cardcaptor Sakura: Clear Card both stream on Crunchyroll here and here

Jecka: Kawamura-san, what would be your ideal anime soundtrack to reinterpret?

Kawamura: It's a difficult question for me to answer. Hmm, maybe the Cowboy Bebop? It has a jazzy soundtrack, so I'd like to rearrange it. I'd think of it as a challenge to myself.


Jecka: Iwao-san, how did you obtain the lead role in Ayashi no Ceres

Iwao: I auditioned for the role of Ceres in Ayashi no Ceres, and at the time they announced that I got the role, I was also honored with the request to sing the opening theme song "Scarlet." 

Junko Iwao performed the Opening theme for Ayashi no Ceres entitled "Scarlet." listen here 

Jecka: Kawamura-san, what are your musical inspirations?

Kawamura: I think my life is my music, really. My inspiration comes from everything, be it playing games, watching movies, eating or dating cute girls. (laughs) everything. 

Jecka: Iwao-san what do you think contributes to your enduring success?

Iwao: Hm, eating well. (laughs) Though in seriousness, I'd attribute it to my strong desire to be a singer since I was a child. From when I first went to auditions without telling anyone to the ones I didn't get, to the ones I did and the several works I'm very thankful to be a part of and the fans who have supported me until, well, now where I've been in the business for 30 years. I'm truly thankful.

Jecka: Kawamura-san, given your notoriety for Jazz music, what do you think makes Jazz such an appealing genre?

Kawamura: Other Jazz musicians say that jazz can be overly complex and there's still much that remains misunderstood about it, but I don't feel that way. I think it's a cool music genre that defies logic, which is what I want to express in my own jazz. 

Jecka: Thank you very much for your time! 

Comments