Sunday Legends Interview 2



And thanks to some really kind benefactors I have the second part of the Adachi x Aoyama interview! This part was way easier to work on. (Though I'm not entirely sure why?? Have I leveled up?!) Though it's a little less informational than the last part. Still if you've ever wondered what the makeup of Adachi and Aoyama's families are or where the girls in Magic Kaito got their names then read on below! The third part is in a special MIX book that I'm...not entirely sure I can get my hands on, but if I do, I'll translate it. For now, enjoy!


“We haven't talked about manga have we, huh?”
For this occasion we're celebrating MIX's TV anime and Conan's newest movie, so we asked you two to be here. However when have you met before this?
Adachi: Since the end of the year party?
Aoyama: Since the New Years “Sunday appreciation” festival, right?
Adachi: So that was around one month ago. Well, we've had run-ins here or there but it's not like we discussed anything of any real importance.
Aoyama: Yeah.
Adachi: Up until now we've just been meandering around (laughs). Ah right we haven't talked about manga have we, huh?
Aoyama: And the interview has already started, (laughs).
---Then let's start over. What would you two say you have in common?
Adachi: Things we have in common...hm. How many siblings do you have again?
Aoyama: Four siblings.
Adachi: Then we have that in common....and they are...? Brothers? Sisters?
Aoyama: All four of them are guys. I'm the second son...ah right Adachi-sensei if I remember correctly you're the youngest?
Adachi: That I am. I only had one older sister, and my older brother right before me was a manga artist as well. So what was the situation for you as the second son?
Aoyama: As the second son...I got a bunch of hand-me-downs like all of my big brother's clothes were all hand-me-downs.
Adachi: What is your age difference?
Aoyama: Two years. We fought a lot.
Adachi: It happens when you're close in age like that.
Aoyama: The other bro was about five years away from me, so he was already...
Adachi: You really did look at him as more of a proper little brother.
Aoyama: That's right. Though interestingly enough my manga don't tend to have sibling characters in them because I find siblings to be a pain to draw. (Laughs). Even in normal circumstances Conan has a bunch of characters....it'd be better if there weren't more of them, right?
Adachi: No no, (laughs) Though it's actually rare for me to have a story without siblings...
Okay so for things we have in common....I guess our names both start with “A” and we're both from the year of the rabbit. I think aside from that we're basically completely different. (laughs).
Aoyama: The legend of the year of the rabbit, (laughs). We were discussing it before how it seems like lots of amazing manga artists are born on the year of the rabbit. Tetsuya Chiba-sensei for one, you –Adachi-sensei, me, and Eiichiro Oda-sensei.
Adachi: And then there's Osamu Tezuka-sensei but he was born a different year.
Aoyama: He was so close too, (laughs).
Adachi: The gap of 12 years is a big one. The environment one is raised in is completely different...it's kind of weird right? What kind of manga did you read as a child?
Aoyama: I loved “I'm Teppei” (Ore wa Teppei).
Adachi: Only “Teppei”? Was there anything else?
Aoyama: “Ashita no Joe” ….as a kid I was really into Magazine.
Adachi: Yeah, same here. I never read anything from Shougakukan. (laughs) I was aaaalways into Magazine.
Aoyama: (laugh) I'm nostalgic for Makoto Kobayashi-sensei's “1.2 Sanshiro” and stuff like that. I really love pro racing.
Adachi: What kind of music do you listen to?
Aoyama: Eiichi Ootaki and Tatsuro Yamashita....stuff from that generation.
Adachi: The Niagara generation?...it progressed about 12 years...
Aoyama: Adachi-sensei...were you into Masashi Sada and the like?
Adachi: Nah, no matter how I think about it, I was definitely in the Beatles Generation.
Aoyama: Beatles...that was before our time.
Adachi: Yeah, that's right.
Aoyama: But good music is good.
Adachi: How about idols?
Aoyama: Idols? Momoko Kikuchi is one I like, and then Akina Nakamori.
Adachi: Gotta say they don't seem to be your type.
Aoyama: But that's the generation I was from. Not quite the Seiko Matsuda era.
Adachi: Ah, I see...
Aoyama: Beyond that there was Kyouko Koizumi....that's about it I think. I actually used all of their names in “Magic Kaito” for the characters.....Aoko Nakamori, Akako Koizumi, and so on...it matched up with the colors.
Adachi: (laughs).
Aoyama: For the suspects in “Conan” I try to name them carefully after the motif in the case. Though, what about you Adachi-sensei?
Adachi: For “Nijiiro Tougarashi” and whatnot I just threw things together. “Cross Game” It was to match the leaf motif –I thought of all the key characters at the same time.
Aoyama: I see.
Adachi: For the baseball members I haphazardly came up with their names, so sometimes I'd make mistakes on them.
Aoyama: Huh? Mistakes?
Adachi: When they'd first appear they'd have a completely different first name and because I wouldn't remember, the next time they'd show up I'd end up drawing the character with another wrong name.
Aoyama: (laughs)
Adachi: One time I made a mistake three times....it was actually amazing. When they set out to make an anime of it, the staff poked fun at me and asked “Is this guy actually three brothers”? (Laughs) And we had to fix it.
Aoyama: You gotta get a better grip on that! (Laughs)
Adachi: I'd always get the family name right though. (Laughs).
Aoyama: It's kind of like Conan Doyle.
Adachi: ?
Aoyama: Apparently Conan Doyle was pretty irresponsible too. He'd often get Professor Moriarty's name wrong and stuff...
Adachi: It takes having a strong constitution. Extremely strong. Though it seems we all end up living kinda haphazardly.
Aoyama: I'm pretty haphazard too, sometimes I end up getting things wrong...ah, right! I remember! When “Touch started, there was a person with “Hirahira-kun's Adolescent diary”!
Adachi: Whyyy do you remember such needless information?
Aoyama: Because I like “Hirahira-kun” (laughs) Why (would a guy) use the same restroom as the girls?
Adachi: It wasn't my fault –that was just included with the original work. From 1977 to 1978 “Chuuichi Course” by Mamoru Sasaki was serialized.
Aoyama: I only saw Hirahira-kun when I first read your works Adachi-sensei! But when I read “Touch” I thought it was really good. So I went back ward and read “Nine”...
Adachi: Thanks for that.
Aoyama: I really liked the scene with Minami-chan's diary in “Touch”.
Adachi: I wonder what she was doing. Even I couldn't really see. (laughs).
Aoyama: She was probably writing how she likes Tacchan....so it's actually kind of cute for her to be between seeing and not seeing.
Aoyama: So with MIX...
Adachi: Ah it's fine if we don't talk about that one. It's not as if anything has happened so it's fine.
Aoyama: No no, (laughs) I like Haruka Ooyama myself.
Adachi: Oh? So you like longer hair then?
Aoyama: Nah it's not that....I guess her personality? Her personality is really cute!
Adachi: Though I haven't even gotten around to drawing her properly yet.
Aoyama: She was around a lot during the intra-squad games, and I was really happy. Though I also want Souichiro to have more time too...
Adachi: Well...I'll consider it.
Aoyama: I just don't want you to kill him off.
Adachi: Whoa there, this coming from the guy who has people dying in his manga on a regular basis?! (Laughs) I haven't killed that many people...
Aoyama: That's true (laughs) Though hey I also haven't killed any of my main characters.
Adachi: Fair enough.
Aoyama: Wait, did the “Touch” manga end after the anime?
Adachi: Nah the manga ended before the anime did. I remember being ask about how the final chapter was going to go....but even I wasn't sure, (laughs)
Aoyama: So you made them chase after you (laughs). How's “Mix” Going to turn out?
Adachi: I'm only thinking about what kind of story I'd like it to be.
Aoyama: “MIX” and “Conan” are both airing Saturdays.....yet it's more like “Sunday Time!”
Adachi: It fills me with deep emotions....but eh, it'll be fun!
Aoyama: Right? (Laughs)


Comments

  1. Here is a link to the MIX issue part of the Gosho X Adachi interview if you want to read it! : https://imgur.com/a/ldCKHbI

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks! Though why'd they have to take out the furigana....that makes translating this that much harder, lol. Oh well, that's the path I've chosen for myself.

      Thanks, and thanks again!

      Delete

Post a Comment