Sho-comi exclusive: Interview with Kaeru Mizuho, author of "Mahou Shoujo Dandelion"

Hey all! Life's about taking chances, seizing opportunities.  Sometimes things work out, sometimes they don't. Ultimately, I subscribe to the thinking that it's better to do and regret rather than not to. What does this uninteresting anecdote have to do with the title of today's article? Well, I took a chance and reached out to Kaeru Mizuho-sensei the other day, and they were gracious enough to accept and answer a few of our questions! I'm riding a high, and almost want to see what other mangaka I can talk to. Turns out Social media is okay, sometimes!

I've thanked them plenty, but once again I want to give a huge show of gratitude to Mizuho-sensei for being kind enough to take time out to talk to us, and of course bringing Mahou Shoujo Dandelion into the world. Okay, enough with the pleasantries, let's get magical.


The interview was conducted in Japanese. What is below is my translation. Please do not use or repost without our permission. Thank you.

WSSTB: Hello Mizuho Sensei! Let's start with what inspired you to pursue being a mangaka?

Mizuho: Since I was little, I loved drawing and thinking up stories, so I aimed to become a manga artist who could do both.

WSSTB: What are your biggest shojo manga influences? Or Manga in General?

Mizuho: A manga in Shogakukan's shojo magazine Ciao entitled Kirarin Revolution by An Nakahara. I remember finding it in a daycare and getting really into it.

WSSTB: Why did you choose Shogakukan to publish your works? How are they different from Shueisha?

Mizuho:  There are many reasons, but the primary one is that most of the series that influenced me came from Shogakukan. As for differences, I don't think there's much difference, rather I think it's dependent more on the audience (boys or girls). I previously illustrated a one shot at Shueisha (Ryuujin-sama wa nakenai) but there really wasn't much of a difference between publishing there and Shogakukan. 

WSSTB: Your artwork caught our attention, and we shared it, causing it to go viral. How do you feel about the sudden interactions with overseas fans?

Mizuho: I'm completely floored. To begin with, the concept of Mahou Shoujo Dandelion is different from Sho-comi's target audience, so I went in with the mindset of “I hope the people who are interested in this kind of series will like it”. So I couldn't have expected, in my wildest dreams that, so many people would be enthusiastic about the series from a preview. I've also received a ton of fan art, which I'm grateful for. I feel blessed to have had an opportunity like this. 

WSSTB: What led to the serialization of an (almost) true account of your life in Hobo Jitsuroku! Genkai otaku daigakusei no nichijou?

Mizuho: About a year and a half ago, I was in a cycle of repeatedly coming up with and having ideas rejected for a serialization, when my editor suggested “How about you try writing an essay manga?” That's what started it all. I wrote a few chapters, and submitted them to a competition, thinking, “It'll be a miracle if this goes anywhere.” And to my surprise, it did. 

From Hobo Jitsuroku! Genkai Otaku Daigakusei no Nichijo

WSSTB: What's your favorite Shogakukan published work?

Mizuho: There are a lot, so it's hard to choose just one. The aforementioned Kirarin Revolution, and from Weekly Shonen Sunday, Detective Conan. Beyond that, I'm also a huge fan of Doraemon. Even now in my twenties, I fantasize about Doraemon traveling through space and time to my house. 

WSSTB: Mahou Shoujo Dandelion has a very distinct feel from the typical works of the magical girl genre in the art and setting. It almost feels like a shonen series --was this intentional on your part or coincdental?

Mizuho: I think my storytelling style is somewhere between shoujo and shonen manga. Many Shoujo magical girl series tend to depict the leads in a romantic relationship, but in Mahou Shoujo Dandelion Shade and Tanpopo aren't romantically inclined. They are rather more like close friends --which does come off closer to a shonen series. However, I also think they have feelings for each other that can't be simply summed up as romance or friendship. Depending on the reader's point of view, this series could be either a shonen or shojo.

WSSTB: This is your first long term serial --what parts of it are different from one-shots and short stories? What's more difficult or conversely, more fun about telling a longer story?

Mizuho: The difference between oneshots, short stories and longer serials is in the latter, the story expands upon itself by building upon what happened previously like stacking building blocks. When I write a one shot, for example, I start with the ending, and then work my way towards it. However with a serial, I use deductive reasoning, so I have a lot more freedom to explore, which conversely means using a lot of trial and error. I've already got a good idea of where I want the story to go, but I haven't figured out yet how many chapters will be required to get there. I have to rack my brains every chapter to figure out what direction to go into. It's tough, but I visualize it as going on an adventure every chapter with Tanpopo and Shade, and it gets to be more fun.

WSSTB: You depicted Shade and Tanpopo as having a very close relationship from the start. Was that always your intention, or did that change as you planned the serial?

Mizuho: At first, Shade and Tanpopo were full on enemies. In a prototype idea, the shadow person was stuck in the magical girl's shadow and forced to join forces with her. Though, when I got to talking with someone else, they informed me that the recent trend in shojo manga is more people get into a work after the couple starts dating rather than the build-up before. So I got to thinking, “Wouldn't it be way more interesting to have the duo get along from the beginning, rather than working their way up to a point where they develop feelings for each other?” and that's what lead to their current relationship. 


WSSTB: What are your mahou shoujo influences?

Mizuho: I have many Mahou Shoujo series I enjoy, but the one that sticks with me is a novel series published by Kodansha entitled Kuro Majo-san ga tooru! By Hiroshi Ishizaki and illustrated by Kaori Fujita. A big influence on me from this work in particular is the presence of an ally who fights alongside the heroine. 

WSSTB: Take us through the process of drawing a chapter. How long does it take and what tools do you use?

Mizuho: I do everything on an iPad using Clip Studio Paint EX. For a chapter that's about 30 pages long, it takes about 3–5 days for me to illustrate the storyboard, and then a week to about 10 days to do the illustrations. I have an assistant help me from time to time, but generally speaking I draw alone. I'd like to be able to draw faster, though. 

WSSTB: People around the world admire and love manga and anime. What do you think resonates with people about the medium?

Mizuho: There are likely many reasons for this, but to me in particular, I think it's that their lives and feelings are relatable to our own. The characters themselves are illustrations that can't leave the page or screen, and live in a world that's physically separate from our own. But just like us, they want to protect people they love, have fun daily lives, worry about their future, and fight for someone's sake --this is what I think evokes sympathy and emotion from the audience. 

WSSTB: What words of advice do you have for aspiring artists?

Mizuho: Mahou Shoujo Dandelion began because I like men with jagged teeth and villainous faces, magical girls who transform and fight, and bonds between humans and non-humans. That's the key, I think. It can be something as simple as “I like characters who have multi faceted personalities” or “I love the medieval period!” As long as you have a very clear perspective on what it is you like, then it's much easier to convey it via manga. That being said, while drawing you might get depressed thinking that your ability isn't enough to express even half of what you want to say. However, I think if you can convey that sense of what you like, then you might be surprised at how many people will be receptive to it. Believe in what you “enjoy” and let's do our best!


Comments