MAHO Sundays. Interview with Nozomi Shimakura, Hiroya Nakata, and Shuichiro Umeda.

Otakon 2024 saw us at WSSTB take on more interviews than ever! Foremost among them was sitting down with MAHO FILM, Yomiuri TV, and voice actor Shuichiro Umeda who appeared at the con to promote the upcoming anime adaption of the historical action series Blue Miburo which will be streaming this fall. We were most gracious to have time with Nozomi Shimakura, the associate producer at MAHO FILM, and Hiroya Nakata, the animation producer at Yomiuri TV (ytv). We had a good time speaking with the group and managed to get a few Shogakukan (Conan) related inquiries answered too! Check out our interview below:

The interview has been edited for clarity. 

Blue Miburo, airing this Fall.

WSSTB: Umeda-san, You’ve played many leads, from Akira Tendo, to your recently announced role as Kotaro Kawai in Puniru is a cute slime (Punieru wa kawaii slime) and now Nio Chirinu in Blue Miburo. How does it feel to be called upon to be the lead role in so many anime, and how do you approach acting as a lead?

Umeda: So it's very different from all the characters I've played up until now. Obviously this (Blue Miburo) takes place in an older age of Japan –not necessarily the feudal era, but in a more dangerous time where there is a different type of happiness one seeks out there compared to the modern age like Akira, or a comedy series like Puniru. It's been a great experience learning to maintain the balance and in this work the preciousness of life. 

WSSTB: Nakata-san, what does your role as producer for ytv entail? How has producing Blue Miburo differed from, say, Detective Conan?

Nakata: So I wasn't the producer for the main Detective Conan series, but I did work on the spinoffs Zero's Tea Time and Hanzawa the Criminal. As for the difference between producing for Blue Miburo and the Detective Conan franchise, well, for Blue Miburo we had to start from scratch. It's very, very different. It's been a much longer process than other works I've been on, since we've had to build it up from the beginning.

Left: Hanzawa the Criminal. Right: Zero's Tea Time.

WSSTB: Shimakura-san, what challenges do you have being associate producer for Blue Miburo? What parts of being associate producer do you enjoy?

Shimakura: Starting with the enjoyable parts –MAHO FILM is mostly known for producing isekai anime. It's not that we seek them out, it's just what we end up working on. So personally for me, I like that Blue Miburo is so different from what has come before. I prefer a character that isn't already maxed out, rather, I like seeing one who becomes stronger through hard work. As for what's difficult –since MAHO FILM is a relatively new studio, it's because Blue Miburo is so different from everything else we've worked on that it's challenging, but it's fun as well. 

WSSTB: Umeda-san, have you received any advice on how to play the role of the protagonist Nio Chirinu from Yasuda-sensei? 

Umeda: In truth, I haven't really met him before. (Nakata chimes in and says he's a shy person) however I did receive a signed illustration from Yasuda-sensei, so I feel like that was his way of conveying his support. 

WSSTB: Who is your favorite character in Blue Miburo?

Umeda: Let's start with Nakata-san.

Nakata: I'm sorry (to Umeda) it's not the character you play, but I like Taro. 

Umeda: No, you mean Nio.

Nakata: I look at Taro the same way a parent would a child. As I have a son myself, my heart goes out to him as he tries his best. Sorry, Nio.

Umeda: I'm so heartbroken….(laughs) Just kidding.

Umeda: To put it frankly, Nio. It's not just the feeling I get from reading the manga, but through playing him, I get to understand him inside and out. I've spent so much time thinking of him and preparing for the role that it's dug up old emotions within me that have brought me closer to him.

Volume one of Blue Miburo featuring Nio who is voiced by Shuichiro Umeda.

Shimakura: My apologies, but my favorite isn't Nio either. 

Umeda: What do you mean he isn't?! (laughs)

Shimakura: My favorite character is Harada.

Umeda: Sannosuke, huh?

Shimakura: I've liked him since reading the manga where he has this awesome fighting scene, and I thought he was so cool. 

WSSTB: Nakata-san, have you heard of Detective Conan’s overseas popularity, and does It surprise you?

Nakata: I haven't experienced anything directly, and I haven't been there myself, but I do know the Detective Conan movies have had premieres at Anime NYC and from what I know they've been really well received. Detective Conan is one of those rare anime that has been airing for a long time, lasting more than one thousand episodes, and I had the honor of helping produce the one thousandth episode. Though on that subject, when the series began, there was no intention to bring it overseas at all –it was always only ever meant to be aired in Japan. However, as time went by, the Detective Conan team has realized that there is an overseas market for the show. 

WSSTB: Thank you for your time! 




Comments