Sunday Samurai (Comments from the Cast and Staff of the Yaiba reboot)

Hey everyone! This is a quick write-up/translation, but it's a big one nonetheless. As you're reading this, the news of the new Yaiba reboot has hit the internet and with it, the staff/cast commentary is live as well! As we're big Aoyama fans, we couldn't miss this chance to share the thoughts of the newly announced cast and staff. We're looking forward to more news, as you probably are, but for now here's a tidbit to snack on!

Source of comments

Yaiba homepage

©Gosho Aoyama/Yaiba Production Committee/SHOGAKUKAN


Comment from Director Takahiro Hasui

Under the supervision of Mr. Aoyama, this work has been changed and updated so that people who both know and do not know Yaiba can enjoy this new modern remake of the series together. We've gathered a crack team of amazing animators who are hyped for Yaiba to draw this project as well. We hope you'll enjoy this new take on the series!!

©Gosho Aoyama/Yaiba Production Committee/SHOGAKUKAN

Comment from Character Designer Yoshimichi Kameda

When I was in elementary school, my grandmother got me a oil painting set. I meandered on wondering what to draw for a while before deciding on recreating the cover for Yaiba volume #21 on my canvas. It's been 30 years since then, and now I'm officially participating as character designer for a series I've been a longtime fan of. To say I'm overjoyed and honored is an understatement! I'm going to do my utmost to ensure this is a great series!

©Gosho Aoyama/Yaiba Production Committee/SHOGAKUKAN


Comment from Yutaka Yamada

When I first spoke to the director about the series, he told me that I should “Think of the music as one of the characters.” I remember the sense of elation I had upon hearing this. To ensure the series tempo and speed are preserved, I didn't limit myself to one genre of music and used many styles, so I hope you'll enjoy the animation and sound together. 

©Gosho Aoyama/Yaiba Production Committee/SHOGAKUKAN

Comment from Minami Takayama

“I'm Yaiba Kurogane, a Samurai!!” To think I'd be able to say that famous line again...I'm overjoyed. (More like it's a miracle) a happiness like no other!! The staff has nothing but an overflowing love for the work. Even now they're working on it in high spirits. I can't wait for you all to see the animation that feels as if it'll pop out of the screen!

©Gosho Aoyama/Yaiba Production Committee/SHOGAKUKAN

Comment from Manaka Iwami

At first, I was in disbelief that there would be a day when I'd be a part of Mr. Aoyama's world that had me glued to my TV set as a child. Sayaka is always cute and sometimes cool –while being inspired by the wonderful cast of characters, which makes playing her a ton of fun! Here's to bringing the world of Yaiba that still is beloved by many to even more people!!

©Gosho Aoyama/Yaiba Production Committee/SHOGAKUKAN


Comment from Yoshimasa Hosoya

I'm Yoshimasa Hosoya, and I'll be playing Takeshi Onimaru in “Shin samuraiden Yaiba.” Because it was at a time when I wasn't getting any of the roles I auditioned for, I was admittedly afraid of taking on the role of Onimaru. There were times when I felt like this role was too big for myself, or that I was the only man out, but now I'm happy to announce that I got the role. I want to enjoy playing Onimaru in a way that everyone will see his charm. I hope you'll enjoy it. 

©Gosho Aoyama/Yaiba Production Committee/SHOGAKUKAN




Comments