Weekly Shounen Sunday #19 (Preview)





I feel like I spend more time on this blog than I do with loved ones, lol. Well, you know what they say, there's no rest for the Sunday obsessed. I've got some deets on issue #19 and free time to discuss them, so lets get all the stuff and do this thing.


On the cover is Rikako Yagi who as far as I know was only in the drama adaption of "The Girl who Leapt through time." I'm not sure how Japanese ladies get these wonderful looking eyes, but I'm not complaining. She's only 15 years old, (16 this year) so I'd assume her career can only rise from her appearance in that drama. 


And now the TOC! I'm going back to using Japanese names this week.

Tenshou no Quardable by Takahiro Arai (New series/color pages)
Komi-sa wa Komyushou Desu by Tomohito Oda
Aozakura Bouei Daigakkou Monogatari by Hikaru Nikaido
Dagashikashi by KOTOYAMA
Maoujou de Oyasumi by Kagiji Kumanomata  (Color pages)
Magi by Shinobu Ohtaka
Amano Megumi wa Suki Darake!! by Nekoguchi
Souboutei Kowasubeshi by Kazuhiro Fujita
Yuugami-kun wa Tomodachi ga inai by Jun Sakurai (Color pages)
Be Blues! by Motoyuki Tanaka
Hayate no Gotoku by Kenjiro Hata
Maiko-san chi no Makanai-san by Aiko Koyama
Kyoukai no RINNE by Rumiko Takahashi
Hiiragi-sama wa Jibun wo sagashiteru by Hiroyuki Nishimori
Zettai Karen Children by Takashi Shiina
Hatsukoi Zombie by Ryou Minenami
Tokiwa Kitaeri!! by Shun Matsuena
Tenshi to Akuto by Aya Hirakawa
Joujuu Senjin Mushibugyo by Hiroshi Fukuda
Saike Matashitemo by Tsubasa Fukuchi
Keijo!!! by Daichi Sorayomi
Sunday Higaku Kenkujyou by Yuuji Yokoyama

And this week, I'll even throw in the series not in the issue.

DameTerasu-sama by Shun Fujiki
Major 2nd by Takuya Mitsuda (Absent until issue #20)
Detective Conan by Gosho Aoyama
RYOKO by Kaito Mitsuhashi

That's right, for whatever reason, RYOKO which was stated to be proceeding normally in this week's issue in the last issue (#18) isn't here for some reason. Not only that, but it's not in the next issue either. Now I did translate chapter #21 and it did mention a "final battle" but I think it's more referring to the end of the arc that the series has been in since chapter 16 or so. Though that being said, two weeks off all of a sudden is kind of concerning. RYOKO has been awesome lately in my opinion, and it needs to keep up that momentum if it wants to keep from being swept away, especially with new series on their way. Though it is weird that there's no notice for the sudden two week break, and Mitsuhashi doesn't use social media, so there's no way to get to the bottom of this...also Saike sinking lower each gives me cause for worry too. I'm assuming it's location the TOC is because of it's special circumstances, but it's still worrying to see it almost at the bottom. 


And now the preview! Hayate ends in issue #20 with an expanded 29 pages, Mushibugyo get's a color page for it's 29th volume release, Major 2nd returns from it's brief hiatus, Conan takes the cover as the new movie nears (For two weeks!) And another new series --Hoankan Evans no Uso ~Dead or Love~ by Mizuki Kuriyama begins. As I mentioned before, RYOKO is on break again, and joining it is Be Blues. 

On the note of hiatuses and whatnot, Takashi Shiina (Zettai Karen Children) has stated here on twitter that Zettai Karen Children's "High School arc" will reach the end of it's "first half" in this issue (#20) and then go on hiatus for an undetermined amount of time. Why does it seem like everything in this magazine is going on hiatus...Anyway, I'll be covering the new series when I get the issue, along with Hayate's finale next week. Until then! 





Comments

  1. It would be strange for RYOKO to end that suddenly. I'm not sure, but I don't think that Sunday axes manga that fast - unlike Jump. Maybe they put it on hiatus to give the author some time to make changes, or something.
    But then I've seen manga end with only 1-3 chapters notice.
    Maybe Sunday decided to start axing series faster while they keep introducing new ones.
    I hope that the Youkai manga becomes a success and doesn't get cancelled after a short while, if it is anything like the oneshot.
    Btw, it's Tokiwa Kitareri and not Kitari.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the spelling fix, peppermint! That's what I get for doing this early in the morning, lol.

    I don't think RYOKO is done for either, but it is worrying about Mitsuhashi since this break came out of nowhere. There hasn't been a notice of any kind yet so maybe it's nothing major, but I dunno. If it's not in the issue after the next 2 and there's still no notice I'll be really worried.

    I'm hoping Youkai Giga does well. It'd be nice to have two youkai manga in WSS!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment